Pakistan is world’s 9th least peaceful country: GPI
26 June 2015 update: In 2015 GPI report, Pakistan has kept its No 9 rank (154 out of 162). Link to 2015 report has been added below. The 2015 least peaceful countries list is also added.
Global Peace Index (GPI) 2014: Pakistan is world’s 9th least peaceful country and is ranked 154 out of 162 countries on the 2014 Global Peace Index (GPI).
The 2014 Global Peace Index (GPI) interactive map shows that the last seven years has shown a notable deterioration in levels of peace. GPI measures peace in 162 countries according to 22 indicators that gauge the absence of violence or the fear of violence. This is the 8th year the index has been produced.
The 10 least peaceful countries
- South Sudan
- Central African Republic
- DR Congo
- North Korea
The 10 most peaceful countries
- New Zealand
- Czech Republic
- Since 2008, 111 countries have deteriorated in levels of peace, while only 51 have increased.
- Europe retains its position as the most peaceful region with 14 of the top 20 most peaceful countries.
- The world has become less peaceful over the last year, mainly due to a rise in terrorist activity, the number of conflicts fought and the number of refugees and displaced people.
- 500 million people live in countries at risk of instability and conflict, 200 million of whom live below the poverty line.
- The Global Economic Impact of violence reached US$9.8 trillion last year, which is equal to 2 times the total GDP of Africa.
- Pakistan is ranked as 9th least peaceful country.
- The most peaceful countries are Iceland, Denmark and New Zealand.
- Georgia, Cote d’Ivoire and Libya all made the biggest improvements in peace since last year. A common characteristic in all these countries is the ongoing improvement in political stability in the wake of conflict.
- Syria replaces Afghanistan as the world’s least peaceful country. South Sudan experienced the largest fall on the Global Peace Index and dropping 16 places to rank 160th of 162 countries.
You can download the 2014 Global Peace Index Report here and 2015 report here.
Our earlier, related posts:
From 3rd worst to 5th: Pakistan ranking in terror deaths improves
Good news: Terrorist attacks decreased in Pakistan in 2014
Pakistan ranks #3 in global terrorism index 2014
Pakistan 3rd biggest terrorist risk spot in the world
Pakistan 10th most fragile country
Pakistan 3rd least safe country in Global Competitiveness Report 2014-15
Pakistan #106 in Good Country Index
Do not miss our Understanding Pakistan Series
Wali on Pakistan of future
Pakistani culture through 6-D Model
Native languages in Pakistan
How future oriented are we?
How we messed up Pakistan: A series by Wali