10 September 2018: Dr Hasan Sohaib Murad, former Rector, University of Management and Technology (UMT) returned to his Creator, in a road accident near Gilgit, Northern Areas. Inna Lillah. When writing these few lines (below) a few years ago, it never occurred to me that I will be posting his obituary so soon.
Things I recall about him:
- He was a daring risk-taker. Without that he wouldn’t have been able to create such footprint impacting millions of lives.
- He was a generous man. Every time I visited Lahore, he would send me his personal USV to pick me for lunch or dinner at his favourite place or home. At one time, his son Ibrahim Murad accompanied me only to have an uninterrupted conversation.
- He was patient and tolerated much deviation to his plans.
- He ignored people’s disloyalties and would only smile when their mention would come up.
- He led prayers, taught Quran and Hadith, in addition to his university teaching
Wali Zahid | IMC
Upon return from London in 1999, Wali Zahid joined ILM Lahore (now UMT) as Associate Dean, Faculty of Media & Communications (FMC). The FMC offered degree programs in MSc Mass Communications and MSc Media Management. The latter program couldn’t take off, while in the MSc Mass Comm, only two batches could be recruited, with a small number of students.
The program wouldn’t meet the revenue requirements of the university. So, after a struggle of about two years, Wali took responsibility for failure and moved on to British Council where he became the Country Director, Management Development Services from 2001-2008.
Dr Hasan Sohaib Murad, Rector and owner of UMT (University of Management and Technology), in a recent interview mentioned Wali fondly. This was a surprise that Dr Murad still remembered Wali in spite of a failure. Have a look.
In a later lunch meeting with Dr Murad, where Wali received the magazine carrying his interview, Wali was surprised to find out that the whole 11-page interview on ILM/UMT journey mentioned only three names: Dr Murad’s father, Dr Murad’s former boss Hussain Dawood, Rector LUMS, and Wali’s. That’s some blessing. Subhan Allah.
Understanding Pakistan Series
Pakistan’s economic future in 11 photos
Pakistan’s GDP PPP crosses $1 trillion, ranks 25th in world
What to expect in Pakistan in 2017
Back to the future: Pakistan in 2050
Wali on Pakistan of future
Only 14% Pakistanis use social media
Long Term Orientation in Pakistan: from Zero to 50 in 2 years
Pakistani culture through 6-D Model
Native languages in Pakistan
How future oriented are we?
How we messed up Pakistan: A series by Wali
Pakistan’s two value crimes no one talks about
Is Whatsapp your source of info? Welcome to Project Ignorance